Thursday, December 8, 2011

Rock & Roll HOF

People spend a LOT of time criticizing the selection process of the Baseball Hall of Fame (which finally inducted the very-deserving Ron Santo this week), but we never seem to spend enough time criticizing the selections made by the Rock & Roll HOF, an organization that admits all stripes of sucktitude, mediocrity and trash. Let's look at this year's classGuns N’ Roses, the Beastie Boys, Donovan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Laura Nyro and the Faces. Friends of mine are aware that I can't stand either the Beastie Boys or the Red Hot Chili Peppers but I can begrudgingly admit that they are worthy of the Hall, if due to their record sales and musical influence alone. I would argue that the Beastie Boys really aren't "rock and roll" as we traditionally mean it but a) modern rock playlists seem to argue otherwise [I think this is clearly because they are white though admittedly that prejudice cuts both ways. You won't hear the Beastie Boys on Hip-Hop/Rap stations either] and b) the Hall itself really isn't "Rock & Roll" anyway. Let's put it this way - one day the Black Eyed Peas will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Nuff said. But let's look at the other names on this list. Donovan? Honestly, without using wikipedia, tell me who the hell Donovan is? I listen to a lot of fucking music across a lot of different genres.  I couldn't tell you who the hell Donovan is. And if I have to look for an artist on wikipedia, that artist clearly doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. That would be like putting Oscar Azocar in the baseball HOF. 
Laura Nyo? Again, see previous. The Faces? That's a bit of a stretch. Yes Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood are important Rock & Roll artists but they have both been inducted for their post-Faces work (Stewart as a solo artists and Wood with a little band called the Rolling Stones). The Faces had maybe one moderate hit - "Stay With Me". That does not a Hall of fame career make.  I mean, if that gets you in the Rock & Roll HOF, make room for the Kevin Maas bust in the baseball HOF! 
I wish I could say that this is a one year anomaly, but it is not. The Rock & Roll HOF consistently goes out of its way to reward stupefying levels of mediocrity. Here are some other Monsters of Rock inducted in just the last 5 years: Darlene Love, Dr. John, The Hollies, Jimmy Cliff, Little Anthony & The Imperials, The Ventures, and The Dave Clark Five. Wow, what a list. Was Rockwell ineligible? Did EMF turn down the nomination? What a bag of shit! I don't understand what the Hall is doing here. Why undercut your brand by diluting it with this nonsense?

7 comments:

  1. Donovan is classic dude. I'm disappointed in you. Hurdy Gurdy Man? Mellow Yellow? Catch The Wind? Atlantis? Season of The Witch? Sunshine Superman? I'm sure I'm even missing some more you probably heard and didn't realize it was Donovan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll put his greatest hits on Dropbox for you. Prepare to have your mind changed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't show your face in New Orleans if you don't think Dr. John shouldn't be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And I don't know why you would have a problem with the Dave Clark 5? They were successful here and wildly successful in the UK. It's not the US Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Same thing with The Hollies. They are a british invasion band who was huge in the UK and had success here as well. I've even sang He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother in kareoke after a pub crawl (killed it by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott 'Hates Most Blogs' BaioDecember 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM

    Keith's right about Donovan... I didnt realize I knew the songs until I looked em up myself. Blame it on the lack of formalized marketing from back in the day.

    PS - you should write more blogs about music or any other cultural opinions... your point about the beastie boys race card was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, consider myself a little bit chastened by your comments - I kinda intentionally didn't do the legwork of looking up these bands because I wanted the post to be a little over the top. That being said, I still don't think ANY of those bands should be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I think US AND British success is probably a necessary component.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually agree with you in that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in jeopardy of getting watered down. I just mostly took umbrage with the Donovan aspect of you post. I was shocked you had no idea who he was. Who did you think you were listening to when Emile Hirsch and Elisha Cuthbert were triumphantly walking back to prom after successfully pulling off their video shoot in Girl Next Door? Or in the beginning of Zodiac what was playing when Mike Mageau and Darlene Ferrin were attacked?

    Donovan's stuff is used everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally made it - my first negative comment! I'm big time now. Kinda surprised it's a response to my Rock & Roll HOF post though. Its pretty impeccable.

    ReplyDelete