Friday, November 4, 2011

American Horror Story


To my own surprise, I'm finding American Horror Story pretty awesome. It's by far my favorite new show on television and possibly my all-around favorite drama currently playing. The cast is awesome and I actually find myself wondering where the heck they found the budget at FX for Dylan McDermott, Connie Britton, Denis O'Hare, Jessica Lange, Frances Conroy, Kate Mara, and Zach Quinto.  Every single one of those people have had a major role in a good to great movie or TV show in the last three years. The additional actors/actresses are just as good, even if the don't have the same name recognition. I do however, have two major concerns. One, there has been notable Dylan McDermott nudity and yet there has been ZERO Connie Britton or Alexandra Breckenridge nudity! That's sexist! But that's Hollywood for ya - always objectifying the male leads!
Second, and more seriously, I was concerned that the creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Fulchak wouldn't have the balls to kill off the main (living) cast.  To me, that's the only way the show works - as either a one year show or a continual show where they kill off the cast and bring in new living occupants next year.  But then I started reading some worrisome interviews with Ryan Murphy were he was sayin' things like "I don't know where people are getting the impression that the main cast will only be around for one season." [sorry, can't find the link. I swear he said it though!] This drove me crazy, and I began to worry that I'd be investing a lot of time and passion into a show that would ultimately string me along and pussy-out in the end. But then I realized, these kind of statements aren't as worrisome as suggested. Because, whether the Harmons live or die, they can't leave the house.  Even if the creators kill them off, as I hope they do, they are bound to the house as ghosts. In fact, I'm not Taissa Farmiga's agent or anything, but she's probably contractually bound to the show for a few years. I mean, her character was born to haunt that place! And since different ghosts can haunt the house in any given episode, you could still drag Connie Britton or Dylan McDermott back for an episode or two every year.  It probably wouldn't be that difficult.  And if you didn't have the contractually means to bring them back, you could always give them such gruesome deaths that they are facially un-recognizeable and the "ghost" version could essentially be played by anyone. So I'm back to being less concerned about that and more concerned about the lack of female nudity. I mean god damn it, I'm still pissed off that Clarie Danes' Carrie Mathison ineptitude in Homeland has deprived me of further Brianna Brown nudity!

No comments:

Post a Comment