Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Can a man join a yoga class?

I have to say, I've always been a little intrigued by yoga classes.  It DOES look relaxing and let's face it, it does not seem particularly tiring (I'm not talking about hot yoga which I have no interest in).  So from time to time, I've been intrigued by the idea of joining a yoga class.  If it works, God knows I could benefit from the stress release.  However, I'm always plagued by the nagging suspicion that I'll be viewed negatively by my fellow female yoga attendees because the females outnumber the guys by such a great number that, if I'm there, I must be either gay, or, I'm there for less noble, pervy reasons (i.e. watching a predominantly attractive female class stretch themselves into pretzels). Here's what makes things worse - if I ever did join, I would be there for the females! They would have me dead to rights! Not in a pervy sense or anything. Clearly there are easier ways for a male to get there perv on in the year 2011.  But in the sense that I would like to meet females in the class. I mean, it's tough to meet girls.  Does it make me a terrible person if I put myself in a position where I can more easily meet women? Or am I invading an outlet where women normally feel free from prying male eyes?  I feel like it's the latter.  But that could be my Catholic guilt talking.  I honestly want to know - if I join, say, a free yoga class at my gym, am I just a super-perv? Female feedback is appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. I've been doing yoga for a few years and it hasn't been as heavily female-centric as you'd think. No more than spin class or not generally enough that you feel out of place or defensive. But then I'm a bit gay and a bit pervy. That said, my class doesn't offer a lot of options on the meeting women side, spin class is better for that in theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to add, though it depends greatly based on instructor, yoga is both relaxing and a bit tiring. It is physical exertion and you will most likely break a sweat.

    ReplyDelete